Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Shall we continue to speak highly of the average human lifespan knowing how many years are lost to sleep?

Because I'd love to cut my sleep down to about a quarter of what it is now.
____________________________________________________________________________

No, I'm not going crazy.  Well, maybe I am, but that isn't prompting this statement.

A while back (read: several years) I learned through word of mouth (the internet) about a special life-hack called the Uberman sleep schedule.  You can read more about that at Everything2.com.

This consists of reducing your sleep period from 8 long, useless hours of wasted time every day to TWO HOURS.  Apparently taking 20 minute naps six times a day forces your mind to freak the hell out and start getting only REM sleep.  Now, what experts currently think they know about sleep is that REM sleep is the period where all the rejuvenating effects of a night's crash come from.  Can you imagine, not only gaining an extra six hours of waking time every day, but also getting a half-hour more of REM sleep than the average person?  This is something that interests me slightly more than 'a whole lot.'

I, like many others, find that there simply isn't enough time in the day to take care of all the things that need to be taken care of.  I have learned recently about the whole "studying" business, and it is definitely a time commitment.  If only I could study, like the writer of that linked article, between 3A.M. and 7A.M., and leave my social life none the wiser?  Now that's a feat I can invest in.

Should I do it now?  No.  I actually can do without two weeks of being a total zombie minus-the-flesh-loss, and instead opt to try it out later; say, over the summer.  Any progress made on that front, however, will surely find its way here.

3 comments:

  1. I too plan on trying this, seems legit.

    U Laugh U Lose
    http://ulaughulose.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard about this before. I have also heard that when you stop doing it you become tired for weeks or months afterwards.
    I'll probably try it during the summer though.

    ReplyDelete